Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Grand Canyon Concourse Refurbishment

Hey all! Sorry I didn't get to posting the Contemporary refurbishment this weekend. Things got delayed when my family started remodeling the new house we got last friday! I'll definitely be posting the Dr. Suess Land Project around Friday. 


Back to the Contemporary Resort. I wanted to give it a facelift. what was tricky about the resort was it's age. It's called the Contemporary Resort, but it looks 70's-80's esque. Then again, that's what some people love about the resort. 


Again, I wanted a nice medium between the two. Nice, new pops of color that make the old aspects of the resort look new and spectacular. 



I knew first thing's first, I wanted to get rid of the Fantasia Store clogging up the middle. It just makes the concourse look really small. I wanted to make it look larger and have more free space. It almost acts as a tunnel so you have to go through merchandise at the Contemporary. 



I also decided furniture to work with the new settings. The furniture also acts double as fountains, adding to the atmosphere. 

Then, I did something I think is a "Everyone will love it or hate it" risk type thing.  - I re-painted the Contemporary.

Yep, I added some nice pops of color to make Mary Blair's amazing mural pop. A nice light orange to work with the orange in the mural, while at the same time, with it being a different tone of color, making a bold statement in the resort. 



The carpet's fun square shapes also play with the amazing murals fun shapes for the canyons. 

I also put on a nice blue for stripes on the sides of the Concourse, just to freshen it up. 

Last but not least, I added another floor to Bayview Gifts, where Bayview Gifts will add toys and such like the Fantasia Store has on the first floor, with more upscale items on the second floor. 


The other side of the resort will be mimicked in paint and new carpet.  Chef Mickey's will also get new signage, colors, and art to fit the new design. Mostly based off of Disney Pop Art.


Contempo Cafe will be painted to fit the new design as well. But it will be based on more Mary Blair Designs since it's so close to the mural. 



Well there you have it! New paint, new interest in the resort! Plus, with it's nods to the past and clean look, it could stay in style longer, for less refurbs in the future (Definitely a plus for Disney.) 

Get ready for later this week! In my next post, Dr. Suess is on the loose! 

No comments:

Post a Comment